Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Week 10: Reading Diary A

For this week, I decided it would be fun to read Eskimo Folk Tales. It sounded like a fun topic, especially since who wouldn't love eskimo's. The first story that I really enjoyed reading was The Woman Who Had a Bear as a Foster-Son. The name itself interested me to begin with. I always enjoy reading about animals, a I've said time and time before. I think it was really great that the old woman took the bear in as her own. I was actually kind of surprised that the townspeople around her took so kindly to the bear; especially when he got so big that he made their children cry. Luckily after becoming too big, he had the adults to play with. It was really neat that the bear could live in unison with the townspeople and his foster mother.

The part of the story that I was sort of sad about was that the bear having to leave his home. I understood that he killed the man because the man probably tried to harm him first, but I don't necessarily think that he should have left his home. I guess the foster mother was just trying to protect him the best she could. I mean it does make sense that someone would come and try to kill the bear for revenge. This was a really cool folk tale, and probably my favorite out of all that I read so far in the Eskimo Folk Tales. I am really excited to read the second part.

No comments:

Post a Comment