Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Cupid & Psyche - Reading Diary A

For this week, I decided to read Cupid & Pysche as my first unit. I honestly wasn't expecting the story to start how it did. It was surprisingly a bit of a relief that it was very different than what I had imagined the story, or first half of the story to be. It was very interesting to find out that the majority of the story would be told from the point of view of the older woman, and even that she was telling it to comfort a young girl. I had no idea that this story would contain robbers/kidnappers, but it definitely kept things interesting.

One part I really enjoyed was in the second chapter, Her Dream. One item I really took away from this particular chapter was the old lady's description of dreams. She mentions to the young girl that dreams actually fortell the exact opposite of what they show. For instance, if you have a dream about good fortune and stuffing your face, then something is probably about to go horribly wrong. But, on the other hand, if you have a horrid nightmare about the love of your life getting killed, good fortune is sure to come your way. It was a very interesting way to look at things.

The other chapter that I really took something away from was Psyche's Beauty and the Anger of Venus. This chapter sure threw me for a loop. Of course, I believe it was completely normal for Venus to be so angry with everybody fawning after Psyche. It must have been very infurriating considering she was a Goddess, while Psyche was merely a mortal. The item that really caught me off guard was the description given of Cupid. In associating Cupid with Valentine's Day, it was very odd, but interesting, to hear of Cupid in such a horrible tone. He apparently ruins marriages and runs around causing all kinds of mischief. It was a very interesting point of view that I honestly had never heard of before.

No comments:

Post a Comment