Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Week 5: Reading Diary B

It was really nice to finish up reading Folktales of Bengal. I really enjoyed the first story I read. As I mentioned in the first reading diary this week, I really like stories about ghosts. Folktales of Bengal has definitely been introducing me to different kinds of stories this week. A Ghostly Wife was definitely one of those stories. It seems like a lot of the ghost stories I've read this week involve a ghost impersonating someone else. Luckily this time, someone noticed the change, and that the ghost was in fact not the brahman's wife. In the end, they did get the woman back, and the ghost back to her tree. I liked the ending of this story the best I think.

The second story that really interested me was the Ghost who was Afraid of being Bagged. The barber's wife was very upset that she lived a widow's life. She thought that they should have way more money than what they did. The barber went out one night and came across a ghost. This was a very interesting event, especially since the ghost was wanting to kill the barber, but the barber was very clever. He told a fib to the ghost to save himself. It's crazy to think that the ghost was taken back so much by the barber's story. The ghost really believed that the barber would bag him. Luckily, for the barber, he was very good at telling a lie. This definitely saved him in the long run. This also, in turn, made him a very rich man. I think it's safe to say that he now has a very happy wife.


No comments:

Post a Comment