Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Week 4: Extra Reading Diary

For this week's extra reading diary, I chose to read Indian Fairy Tales. I kind of stayed with the fairy tale theme this week. For my whole reading I did the Persian Tales, so I thought this unit would be a nice finish of my week. I really enjoyed reading the entire first half of this unit. One story in particular that I really liked was the Broken Pot. I thought this was kind of a very funny story to read. It goes through all these things the Brahman wishes to do, which of course starts with a pot. Unfortunately for the Brahman, he thinks up all these thoughts of which will happen, and ends up getting burned by karma before they even happen. That's why I thought that the ending of the story was funny. He thinks about kicking his wife that he will get eventually, and of course makes a kicking motion with his foot. This, in turn, causes him to kick the pot, smashing it into a bunch of pieces.


I also really enjoyed reading the Tiger, the Brahman, and the Jackal. Both stories seemed to have witty, as well as funny endings. In this story, the Jackal actually turns out to be the smartest being, of course tricking the tiger who which tricked the Brahman. It really goes to show that not everyone who seems to be a fool is. Some of them are just playing the game, and in a very smart way I might add. It's better to trick others when they think you have no wits.

No comments:

Post a Comment