Friday, April 24, 2015

Week 14: Extra Reading Diary

For my extra reading this week, I decided to take a look into Brothers Grimm (Crane). I enjoyed the Hunt version so much, and I also wanted to get a look at the story with Snow-White. I was thinking that maybe this one would end up being the version that I have come to know. Come to find out, this was the version of Snow-White that I knew. At the end of the first section, the story goes on to tell about Snow-White finding a little house with seven spots at a table and seven beds. I thought this was a very interesting part because it kind of had a Goldilocks feel to it. She ate a little from each plate, and then she tried to find a bed to lay in. Unfortunately, it wasn't until the seventh bed that she got comfy enough to fall asleep. Luckily, the dwarves weren't as angry as the bears were in Goldilocks. They let Snow-White sleep through the night because they did not want to wake her. The ending was a little different than I remember, but it was nice to get a different side of the story. I couldn't believe how many times the wicked queen tried to kill Snow-White. She wasn't very good at it. It was nice that Snow-White always came back alive. I was a little surprised that just the moving of her coffin helped the apple to get out of her throat. I kind of like the kiss version better, but that's just me.

2 comments:

  1. Taylor!
    It sounds like this was such a good unit to pick, and I think it is cool that you could compare and contrast the two versions. I also am with you on the moving-coffin-apple thing. I think I like the kissing version better too! Glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven’t read the Grimm Stories, so I found your summary of the Snow White story to be very insightful in how it differs from other versions we know! Your comparison to Goldilocks was also very astute, and I can definitely see how you got that from the storyline. I, too, prefer the kiss in the Disney Snow White, but it’s definitely the much more romantic ending to that story.

    ReplyDelete