Monday, April 13, 2015

Week 13: Reading Diary A

This week I decided to take a look at Lang's European Fairy Tales I. Over this semester, I've gotten to take a look at a multitude of units involving fairy tales. This one was no different. I was really interested in seeing what the European fairy tales hold, and whether I could find different stories to which I haven't heard before. Overall, my reading of the first half of this unit was very good. I did come across one story that was my favorite from the first half of the unit.

The first story I really liked was the very first story in the unit, The Master Cat, or Puss in Boots. The very first sentence of the story made me chuckle a little:

"There was a miller who left no more estate to the three sons he had than his mill, his ass, and his cat."

I mean who wouldn't find that funny. This definitely painted a nice picture for the story. As the story went on, it got a little more into the son who acquired the cat. He, of course, thought the cat was going to be completely useless to him. The cat overheard his owner say this and decided to make a case for himself. He asked for a bag and pair of boots. Then he would prove himself to his owner. I don't want to spoil the entire story, so I figured the rest can be left up to your imagination. Cats are very cunning, so his statement was a little peculiar to me. He could very well be telling the truth though.

No comments:

Post a Comment